Sunday, July 12, 2009

Poor Emet!

We left Thursday for a trip to Shelby to visit Leigh Ann, Brandon, Davis and Walker and were then planning to head to Hickory on Saturday morning to visit Mom and Dad. We did in fact have a good visit in Shelby and are now in Hickory with Mom and Dad...but had a bump in the road along the way! I'll share more about Shelby and Hickory with pictures when I get home...but for now...

Emet got bit by a lot of mosquitoes Thursday morning while I was watering flowers. He had just gotten over some blisters which were caused by bites (we think), but in order to get over the blisters had to be on medication. Seeing the bites on his legs as I was putting him in the car, I decided to go back in to get the topical medicine he'd been on with his other blisters. Good thing because on Friday morning Emet had about 15 or 16 huge blisters covering his legs and arms. I spent some time talking on the phone with our nurses in Wake Forest and they relayed info to our WONDERFUL doctor. They know Emet well at our pediatrician's office and his skin condition. Our pediatrician approved the antibiotic that Emet was on the previous time for his blisters and they called it into the Shelby Wal Mart pharmacy for us. I gave Emet one dose on Friday night of the medicine before putting him to bed. His legs looked horrible. His right leg was covered from his knee down with blisters and was red all around each blister. I was thankful for the medicine and sure that it would help. I was shocked to see a much worse little boy on Saturday morning. He now had red whelps, maybe described as hives, all over his legs (from his diaper area down). His arms also had whelps and his face was red. I quickly got on the phone with our nurses back home. They advised us to take him to be seen. So, Emet and I head out to an Urgent Care office in Shelby. We waited for almost 1 1/2 hours before being seen by a Physicians' Assistant. He wasn't comfortable with what he saw on Emet and didn't want to diagnose or treat him. So exactly what this Mommy didn't want to happen, happened. We ended up in the Emergency Room at the hospital in Shelby. I've heard of (and had) horrible experiences with Emergency Rooms, so I was expecting the worse. Much to my surprise, they ER in Shelby was quick! Leigh Ann met me there and stayed with us until Mom and Dad got there. Ava was at Leigh Ann's house playing with Davis. The doctor we saw was great. Emet either had a severe reaction to the bug bites, or the antibiotic. We are guessing it was the medicine because he had the bites for 2 days before getting hives and had only had 1 dose of the meds before breaking out. So, needless to say he is no longer on the antibiotic, but is being treated with Benadryl and a steroid. He is doing much better and his legs, arms and face have improved for sure. We are thankful for the care that he received and I am thankful for the support from friends and family during what was a very stressful day!

2 comments:

CygnetMommy said...

I've had okay experiences with the pediatric urgent care, but any urgent care for me or Mark, not much fun--so I feel your pain, there. Hope Emet is all better soon!!

Crystal said...

Poor little Emet! I am so glad he is feeling better - I know you were so worried while waiting to find out what was going on! So glad things are better!